Ramakrishna Mission, Fiji
Values Education / Human Excellence Activities
Activities running at present in Swami Vivekananda College run by Ramakrishna Mission , Fiji
- Regular Meditation for all students of Swami Vivekananda College accompanied by their teachers in the Universal Meditation Centre conducted by a Swami. There are five years in the College (9, 10, 11,12,13) and one year attends meditation on one weekday.
- Sessions on Values Education for the teachers are conducted by a Swami.
- Prizes are awarded monthly to students based on certain human excellence criteria.
- Weekly presentations are done by students on Values Education themes in the assembly.
- Presentations are done on Values Education themes by students on School Notice Board
Proposed activities for future ( Pilot phase all through 2017)
Ramakrishna Mission, Fiji will prepare and share materials as per the outline given below:
Outline of the Activity
- A value education theme will be chosen for every fortnight.
- We will first deal with the personal values followed by family values and community values in chronology. 5 theme will be chosen for every category.
- Materials will be for 5 days of the week
- The materials will have an universal approach without any bias of religion, culture and nation
- It will include
- Definition of the value
- Points of discussion on the value
- Quotes, stories and other inspiring thoughts on the value
- Real life stories about the values
- Interactive worksheets for students including sketches, quiz, puzzles etc on the value
- Thought provoking write-ups on the values
- Opinion of dignitaries of Fiji on the values
- Opinion of students, teachers and parents on the value
- Methods of real-life implementation of the values
- Ideas to develop these values to virtues in the lives of the students
Steps already taken :
- A Values Education Committee formed involving representatives from all stakeholders.
- Consent has been received for sharing the Values Education material with three other Colleges in Fiji :-
- One College run by another Hindu organisation ( 5 kms from Ashrama )
- One Muslim College (30 km from Ashrama)
- One Christian College ( 80 km from Ashrama)
Involvement of the students
- All students voluntarily participate in the meditation activity irrespective of their religion, language and ethnicity.
- Positive feedbacks and suggestions for improvement have been received from the students of the three years (10, 11, 12) on the meditation activity.
- All these students have undergone the meditation training for one year.
- Many students have come forward to get involved more in the meditation activities.
- Some of them have been selected to learn and then conduct the meditation activity.
- It is interesting to note that some of the students who have come forward to learn from the Swami and then conduct the meditation activity are from the Fijian, Christian and also Muslim background and also from both the genders.
Involvement of the teachers
- The teachers accompany the students in the meditation activity and also meditate with them.
- All teachers voluntarily participate in the meditation activity irrespective of their religion, language and ethnicity.
- A committee has been formed including the interested teachers to assist the Swami to conduct and prepare Values Education material.
- Positive feedbacks and suggestions for improvement have been received from the teachers on the values education activity.